WAEC Office Practice Questions 2017- West African Examinations Council (WAEC) is an examination board that conducts the West African Senior School Certificate Examination, for University and Jamb entry examination in West Africa countries. In a year, over three million candidates registered for the exams coordinated by WAEC.
There will be two papers, Paper 1 and Paper 2, which will constitute a composite paper and will be taken at a sitting.
PAPER 1: Will consist of fifty multiple choice objective questions, all of which should be answered within one hour for 50 marks.
PAPER 2: Will consist of a question on a simple case study and six other essay type questions. Candidates will be required to answer the question on the case study and any four of the other questions. The paper will carry 100 marks and last for 2 hours 10 minutes.
PAPER 1 (OBJECTIVE)
1. The contents of a business letter should be
B. technical in nature.
D. written in simple language.
2. The reconciling of the bank statement in an organization is a function of the
A. Marketing Department.
B. Personnel Department.
C. Purchasing Department.
D. Accounts Department.
3. The factors that determine the qualities of a piece of information include its
4. In chronological classification of filing, files are arranged in the order of
5. An office is a room where
A. one or more workers can be found.
B. visitors can see the officers they want to see.
C. the clerical work of an organization is carried out.
D. the clerical staff of an organization are paid.
6. A written account of the proceedings at a meeting is known as
7. A dictating machine is normally used to
A. record messages.
B. delete messages.
C. type messages.
D. decode messages.
8. An office document is normally used to
A. communicate information.
B. leak official secret.
C. deal with the management.
D. fill up the office floor space.
9. An attachment to a letter in an office can be regarded as
A. a mail.
B. an enclosure.
C. a parcel.
D. a reference.
PAPER 2 (ESSAY)
1. Read the case below carefully and answer the questions that follow. Larry Jone Ventures, Ikeja Lagos Miss. Pat Njoku attended a job interview as clerical officer at Larry Jones Ventures, Ikeja Lagos in January this year. Two of the questions she was asked were that she should state the two major types of office layout and two uses of a computer. She answered all the questions correctly and was offered employment.
On assumption of duty, Mrs. Labake Ojo, the immediate supervisor of Miss Njoku told her that her main duties were mail handling and filing. She then instructed Miss. Njoku to always file documents in their date order and that she must never come late to the office.Within two months of Miss Njoku’s assumption of duty, several complaints of missing mails were made by some members of staff. Although the senders provided evidence that the mails were received by Miss Njoku, none of the missing mail could be traced because she was in the habit of not making any entries about incoming and outgoing mails. It was also reported that Miss Njoku used to open all incoming mails before delivering them to their addressees.
The Manager of Larry Jones Ventures, as a result of the complaints, employed Miss Grace Okoli as the new Clerical Officer and re-designated Miss Pat Njoku as the Receptionist. The Manager warned Miss Pat Njoku that she would be sacked if she did not perform the reception duties efficiently.
(a) Suggest the two types of office layout mentioned by Miss Pat Njoku at the interview.
(b) State any two duties of Miss Pat Njoku as a Receptionist.
(c) State any three of the steps Miss Grace Okoli should take in handling incoming mail at Larry Jones Ventures, Ikeja.
(d) Mention and explain the channel of communication between Mrs. Labake Ojo and Miss Pat Njoku.
(e) Identify any two problems in the way Miss Pat Njoku was handling the mails at Larry Jones Ventures
(f) Identify and give two advantages of the filing classification that Mrs. Labake Ojo instructed Miss. Pat Njoku to always use.
2. (a) Define an office.
(b) State three differences between an open office layout and a close office layout?
(c) Mention and explain four functions of an office.
3. (a) Define communication.
(b) Explain the following types of communication:
(i) oral communication
(ii) written communication
(iii) visual communication
(iv) audio-visual communication
(c) List five communication services providers
(d) List five media of communication